Leveraging the Power of Diverse Experience
Tawfik is the Managing Principal and Founder of Goma Law, PLLC – where his practice is focused on leveraging legal as a platform for his clients’ business success. Tawfik has spent his career in the Tech and IP sectors – from industry, the public sector as a USPTO Examiner, big firm private practice at both boutique IP and general practice firms, and as in-house counsel. He leverages his years of experience to provide enabling legal solutions to his clients. Throughout his career, Tawfik has continuously transitioned in order to expand and grow as both an attorney and technology adviser. Goma Law, PLLC is the culmination of these diverse experiences.
A technology enthusiast, Tawfik is passionate about partnering with his clients to fully understand their business models, while leveraging his years of legal and IP experience to provide value added contributions to their bottom line results. Immediately prior to founding Goma Law, PLLC, Tawfik functioned as an in-house counsel and experienced the struggles technology companies face to retain competent external legal counsel at reasonable billing rates. Tawfik’s practice is therefore centered on the premise that high quality legal services should not be exclusive to large law firm billing arrangements.
Philips – Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Mintz – Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky, and Popeo, P.C.
Knobbe Martens – Knobbe, Martens, Olson, and Bear, LLP
USPTO – United States Patent and Trademark Office
IBM – International Business Machines Corporation
Research Intern – 2003, 2004
- Lead global team (US/EU/CN/TW/KR/IN) and developed framework for licensing and monetization of Philips’ wireless power patent portfolio.
- U.S. Lead for bilateral licensing activities of standards based patent portfolios, including Qi Wireless Power, 3G/4G/5G telecommunications, audio codecs, WiFi/802.11, and RF/ZigBee/Z-Wave.
- Closed multi-million dollar deals and a core team member on cross-border negotiation teams for deals having combined values in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Supported monetization efforts involving various technology transfer agreements, including divestment, assumptions, licensing, joint-venture, secondary funding, and other partnership arrangements.
- Developed patent portfolios and managed and performed patent prosecution for high value IP Assets.
- Managed and directed outside counsel in U.S. and international (e.g., UK, DE, NL) litigation and coordinated strategy in cross-border litigation and monetization campaigns.
- Provided legal counsel and functioned as go-to U.S. counsel in all dispute resolution matters in conjunction with monetization of IP portfolios.
- Represented clients in patent litigation and related proceedings in district courts, the ITC, and the USPTO.
- Conducted and lead diligence teams in support of IPOs, M&A, and other corporate transactions.
- Managed IP portfolios to maximize brand value, protection, and overall company valuations.
- Counseled startups and solo inventors on IP matters and corresponding business plan objectives.
- Drafted and prosecuted patent applications related to data analytics algorithms, all aspects of portable device connectivity, displays, power electronics, wireless power, integrated circuits, software and data processing.
- Counseled and represented clients ranging from sole inventors to Fortune 50 companies, including the largest consumer electronics companies in the world.
- Advised on and conducted valuation on large scale acquisitions and divestment of IP Assets.
- Conducted IP due diligence and functioned as technical support team member for litigation matters.
- Examined patent applications and prepared briefs to the Patent Trial and Appeals Board (PTAB) in the areas of dynamic storage devices, including optical, magneto-optical, magnetic, and solid state storage and corresponding components.
- Trained and supervised examiners in relation to patent examination procedures and best practices.
- Developed and implemented search strings and strategies for review of U.S. Patent Databases, together with international patent databases, scientific databases, and other non-patent literature.
- Conducted hundreds of negotiations and interviews with Applicants and and their representatives in connection with patent filings and examination procedures.
- Performed research to support mico-fabrication techniques by preparing, studying, and reporting on samples prepared by various processes including photo-lithography, doping, thing-film growth/deposition, chemical and ion etching.
- Automated and developed test suites for audio samples to support audio recognition software development.
The George Washington University Law School (Juris Doctor)
The Pennsylvania State University – University Park (Bachelor of Science – Electrical Engineering)
State Bar of California
State Bar of New York
United States Patent and Trademark Office